THE LAST BISCUIT


THE LAST BISCUIT
Image result for SINGLE BISCUIT

‘’Today it’s your turn to be the first’’. Was what Beth said to me the first thing after school. Even though I didn’t utter a word, I had made up my mind that day that no matter what, I was not going to be the first.
Indeed it’s very difficult for little sisters like me to survive in this dominant world of Big sisters, where we are enslaved to do even the smallest of things for them. Even though, without much obligation, I always did what she sought. But what she asked of me today was beyond my dignity. It was this special packet of six scrumptious biscuits exclusively available on Thanksgiving, which mamma had bought the other day. Being the first was indeed something honorable, but the first to eat this super-scrumptious biscuit was not. The first biscuit, being exposed to the cold air, gets shriveled up and starts to taste like cardboard. And there was no way that I would sacrifice my delightful time with the second biscuit over the first.
By the time we reached home both of us were all set and ready for the upcoming battle. Beth glared over her specs at me one last time before opening the door.           ‘’ There’s still time.’’ She whispered. Well that small gesture wasn’t threatening enough to give up.
The super scrumptious biscuit packet was waiting for us all alone on the table. Inside it was the remaining four biscuits, two of which will be devoured by us today. While I sped to my room to change clothes, Beth went directly to the table; she wanted to finish this affair fast. I had no intention to eat before changing, but her actions were so intimidating that I gave up and went back to the hall; she was not-so trustworthy.
 I began, ‘’Yesterday it was me who ate the first biscuit, so today it ought to be you. Abide by the rules Beth!’’ ‘’Then tomorrow, according to your rules, you will get to eat it. Am I wrong? ’’ I shook my head. ‘’Then, the ratio will go all wrong!’’ I did not know what ratio was. But somehow I felt that what she said was an important fact. Moreover, to be frank, I still was not ready to fight her eye-to-eye. She had it again…

Mamma came soon after the biscuit rush was over. Of course we were not so stupid to tell her about what happened. It was too risky, we would get an earful or maybe even worse; she would not buy us biscuits at all!
But what she actually did was really frightening…!
At night, after mamma gave our good night kisses and switched off the lights, Beth whispered, ‘’Laya I am very sorry. I shouldn’t have eaten your share of biscuits. I am a very cruel person aren’t I?’’ Did she just realize it? But I didn’t reply. Beth continued, ‘’tomorrow you can have the second biscuit and I would also grant any other small wish of yours as atonement’’
The next morning I woke up very bright and cheerful. I was excited for the biscuit and Beth’s confession made me too light-hearted. She was really so kind. The day flew by very fast and reaching home I jumped and twirled while my Big sis opened the door. This time I directly went to the table, were the biscuits are kept.
But what I found really shocked me…and Beth.
A single biscuit was kept on a plate with a note written beside:
I am really disappointed by your actions. Rather than fighting both of you could have shared your biscuits.
So I have decided to eat the second biscuit, which was fresh, and both of you share the first biscuit. Learn to share and adjust with what you’ve got and don’t ever fight over such things. Mamma’s watching.
Dearest mamma
I sighed and kept the note down. I glanced over at Beth and she over to me. The same thoughts flashed through our minds.
Was she REALLY trying to stop the fight?

By Hridya Lenin
  IX A (2018-19)
KV THRISSUR



Comments

  1. This post takes me back to the times when I and my younger brother used to fight over various stuff. We still do, nothing has changed much, even after my marriage. I believe that's how siblings' love is meant to remain intact, by fighting with each other often and then reconciling. Keep writing Hridya! All the best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment